Monday 4 December 2017

Paint Experimentation: Vallejo .. Things other than paints, inks and washes.

What's this? What's this? Other things apart from paints, washes and inks from Vallejo. Whatever next and what do they do? (see below):


The "Retarder Medium" this slows down the drying time of the paint which gives you longer to blend colours together. I think this may be of use in larger scales and models (tbc). I do remember some painting blogs extolling its virtues.

A few drops of the "Matt Medium" makes the colour more transparent, increase paint (i.e. runnier) and produces a 'matter' finish. To me this has WWII 20mm (plastic and metal figure) potential to get a dirty camouflage look!

Lastly the "Metal Medium" again mixed with metal paint gives a paler metallic shade and can be also used for metallic highlights. I was thinking 25/28mm Wars of the Roses (Perry's), Renaissance (Perry's, Warlord Games) and other plastic 28mm ranges such a Normans, Vikings and Saxons - even up to Crusades (FireForge, Conquesr and Gripping Beast).

Watch this space for some results ;) 

3 comments:

TamsinP said...

The metallic medium can also be combined with coloured paints/washes/inks to create metallic colours (probably more use for SciFi and fantasy than historicals)

Independentwargamesgroup said...

I like their dip which is pretty hard to find. It comes in large jars and adds a good colour for my horses.We are so lucky with the numerous ranges of quality paints.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Tamsin,
I am going to give them a try as I am doing a bit of Sci-Fi at the moment
If the end result looks half as good as your painting I'll be well pleased

:)

Hello Robbie,
Yes I am a secret dipper, or rather "brusher on of washes"
The full blown dip is too extreme for me (or should I thrown my inhibitions to the wind?)

I was just talking to one of the best hobby figure painters I know at the Stockton Battlefront show and he commented how Army Painter and Vallejo dips/paints have transformed hobby painting as we know it.

The "wargaming golden era" continues