Friday 12 December 2014

Are they doing this just to confuse me?

My old friend Airfix seem to be throwing me something of a curve ball. Are they testing my sanity? (see below, two very similar tins [yes/no] delete as applicable, so how do you open them):


But behold, the one on the left "screws off" (if you pardon my expression) from the top, despite having a 'fake' lid on it, while the one on the right "pops off" with a flip off lid (see below, which has totally confused me):


No, but wait for it the one on right also "screws off" but from the bottom (see below, dual action):


What the?

Life is hard enough without this additional taxing mental strain while I am trying to relax! Oh, and despite the new one despite being taller, it only contains 12ml, that's 2ml less paint than the shorter/wider one on the left (which had a capacity of 14ml)

:(

And I thought model instructions could sometimes be hard to understand!

4 comments:

Tim Gow said...

I think it might be an age thing. I remember the days when all you needed to open a paint tin - yes tin - was brute force and a blunt screwdriver.
Possibly it's to do with making the lids childproof - so that only children are able to open them.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Most probably Tim ;)

Paul Foster said...

Wah!

On the plus side the empty tins my yield some useful plastic conversion material!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

The smooth twist lock and flip lid do lend themselves nicely to some Sci-Fi conversions :)